If you’re in any way involved in legalities, it’s always best if you have a lawyer at your side. Whether if it’s for a civil case, business legalities, or a dispute with your insurance company over a home damage repair dispute, etc. here are some tips to help you pick the right one:
- Get recommendations from people you trust.
- Contact each one and see if they offer a free initial consultation. Then see if you trust him or her enough and can work together comfortably. Yes, we keep on mentioning the word “trust”, but this is crucial when it comes to your lawyer!
- Ask about their rates. If you can’t afford them, then you can’t get them. It’s that simple.
- Check their expertise regarding your type of case. Lawyers have their own niche and specializations. Some are divorce lawyers, while others represent those charged with felonies like rape and murder. If you’re looking to sue someone for damages, see to it that the lawyer has extensive experience in the type of case you’re bringing. A medical malpractice suit is very different from suing the main cause of a car accident.
- Ask if they have contacts with other types of lawyers. Let’s say you’re looking for a tax lawyer. You have 2 almost similar options with the same fees and expertise. But one of them can vouch for many types of lawyers if you ever need them, such as if you’re arrested, if you need to sue someone for damages, or if you need someone to represent you in a custody battle. That’s who you should probably hire, since now you have a resource to as if you need any other type of lawyer!